Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Sister Sherry

My sister Sherry and her son Jimmy

Besides Connie, I have a younger sister named Sherry. Sherry doesn't fall a lot or say things backward, but she does occasionally wet her pants. Oh and she did fall crossing a street once in Barstow. She twisted her ankle and her friend, Chris, ran and got an office chair on wheels and pushed her back to her office. I'm sure that was entertaining for someone.

Unlike Connie who is 10 years older than me, Sherry and I are only 2 years apart so we grew up together. I should say we blew up together, because all we did was fight. My poor mom, we couldn't get along for 2 mins. My brother Tim and I fought all the time too, but when I got into high school, he and I got very close, but not Sherry and I.  We fought right through to our adult years. I called her the sister from hell, the wild cat. She would get so mad and just go berserk when we were kids. Coming at me, fists flying. We were all scared of her. She took no guff and you never knew what would set her off.

When I moved out of the house to Huntington Beach, and in with Connie,  Sherry would come for 'vacations'.  Every time she said she was coming, Connie and would look at each other in terror and look up the fastest flight out of the country.  =}

Sherry had been a 'towhead' from birth. Super white hair that everyone noticed. I was the mousey brown haired girl no one saw. Everywhere we went people commented on Sherry white hair. No one ever said anything about me. One Christmas my mom gave us new dolls, she gave me one with white hair and Sherry one with brown hair. She said I never played with mine. One day she said, "You don't like you new doll do you?" I said, "It has hair like Sherry." She said that was the first time she knew I had a problem with Sherry getting so much attention. So she switched the dolls and I was fine. (I remember the dolls well, but not the part of my being upset over getting one with white hair.)

As we got older her hair darkened and no one said anything about it anymore, but a strange thing began to happen. Everywhere we went people asked if we were twins. Sherry was a bean poll, very thin. I was thin but not like her, she was a good 3ins taller then me and she was blond! What were people seeing that they thought we were twins?

Then one day Sherry got married,  and aliens came down and sucked out her old personality and she got a new one. She was changed, ... over night. Gone was the over sensitive sister from hell. She became, ... our mom. She was so, ... nice! Who knew? If I had known marriage would do this for her, I'd have married her off in the 2nd grade.
Sherry and Jimmy on one of their visits to Florida (do we look like twins!) Oh and you also have to imagine us 20lbs lighter as we have all been on Weight Watchers. (Not bean polls anymore ={ )

Now we were close. We talked, we got along, we were friends.  Sadly it was now her walking on egg shells. Her husband was not easy to live with. The marriage lasted 12years. Then he found a new women and well, that was that. But she got one really great thing from the marriage, and little boy named Jimmy. Not so little now, but he was so sweet and so cute as a little guy. (He's cute as a big guy too, and a great kid)

Jimmy all grown up
Divorce stinks, but Sherry had great friends and they got her through it. Soon after that, Sherry woke up one day in terrible pain. The Dr. said she had 3 masses in her abdomen. It was ovarian cancer. Not what we wanted to hear. But God is good.

With the help of a wonderful friend named Chris and her church family, and her brothers (Connie and I were in Florida so had to stay in touch long distant) she came through it. She was prone to infections and it was a long hard fight, but finally she was doing well. But it came back. 3 times she has batteled this disease and 3 times SHE has won.

I must say she is a real trooper. Very little complaining. No pity parties, I know the Lord got her throught it and her good friend, Chris. Thank God for Chris. I don't know what we would have done without her. She was so great. Always at Sherry's side. Her husband was so generous with her, allowing her to even spend nights near the hospital so she could be there to talk to the Drs early in the mornings when they made their rounds. She was amazing. Thank you Chris.
Sherry's good friend Chris (with her grandbaby)

This last time with lots of prayer for no infections and quick healing, she did super well. Treatment is done once again and she just had a CAT-scan and is cancer free. Thank you Lord!

We are praying it is gone for good this time. I have her on prayer lists all the time, (Facebook has lots of them) lots of friends and family are praying too. Her son is a real prayer warroir, in fact he has been asked to attend the International House of Prayer this summer. We are very proud of him. This time I will believe the cancer is gone, killed off, annihilated. Will you pray that too?

Sherry is very involved in her church. She took up where mom left off, taking on lots of jobs and doing great in each of them. She's a good mom, a great friend and a wonderful sister. I'm very proud of her.

Sherry hopes to move to Florida one day, and this time we won't be looking for the fastest flight out of the country. It will be good to have her near us. Jimmy says he'll move too. It will be great to have him close, to get to know him better. He was just 5 when we moved to Florida and we have miss so much of his life. When you are a World Champion Auntie it is very hard to be so far from neices and nephews.

Sherry is in my books too. Shes a little squirrel, though I should have made her a bulldog with all the fight that is in her. I didn't tell my family I was writing a book. When the first one was published, I just mailed them a copy. They were shocked. They all received them the same day and I got 3 phone calls, (my 2 brothers and Sherry) one after another. I had caught a bad cold and had lost my voice, so could only talk a bit, but they were so excited for me and very proud. (I hadn't put my brother Mike in the book and he was a bit disappointed in that, so had to put him in the next one.)

Being part of a family has its hard moments, but also great reward. I'm so glad I have my 2 sisters with me still. Sherry will celebrate her 52nd birthday in August. (she'll probably kill me for telling you that) Oh no! I better look out for her flying fist of fury.  =}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come in, read, enjoy

Welcome to my blog! Please read and enjoy. Feel free to leave comments.